Sunday 15 February 2015

Bernina 730 Record and oscillating vs rotary hook

Bernina 730 Record


I won the 730 on the auction site last week and only bought it because it was cheap (they usually go for much more). When I got it home it was way better than I expected. It hadn't seen all that much use, particularly for a machine made 49 years ago. This is commonly described as identical to the 830 Record but with an all steel body. Not sure why they aren't worth as much as the 830 but I've had the latter and this machine felt better, smoother and generally nicer. Also heavier of course but that shouldn't bother me for another 20 years or so.
This machine came with an adaptor for short shank feet (so I could use Singer feet if necessary) but it came with nearly every standard and optional foot. I stole one from the 530-2 and it seems to now be complete. My friend described her Bernina (a 740 Favorit) as "just very pleasant to sew with".
The machine has the same 20 built-in stitches the 830 has. 
Oh, and she's a keeper: Just too nice a machine to part with.

It's a free arm. Table removed with simple lever.

Amazing condition and very shiny

Accessories swivel and don't have to be removed


What's with all this hook business?


The 740 has a full rotary hook (the hook keeps going around in the same direction) but the 30 somethings (530, 630, 730, 830) are all oscillating hook machines. I used to think the rotary hook must be better since it didn't have to keep stopping and changing direction, but that's not necessarily the case. Industrial machines nearly always have rotary hooks because going continuously in the same direction means they can go faster. However there are exceptions: The domestic 201 Singer has a full rotary hook while the 31-20 industrial (the tailor's machine) has an oscillating hook. Also, all model 15s are oscillating hook, and the 115 has a rotary hook. The 15 is widely considered to be a better machine than the 115, mostly due to the heavier components but the rotation of the hook seems to have no bearing on its abilities. The 115 was dropped about a hundred years ago, in case you were wondering. My conclusion is this: Rotary hook is fantastic for speed but tailoring and flexible domestic machines seem to favour oscillating hooks. The 201 is pretty hard to beat, but it only stitches in a straight line (and it does this perfectly).

8 comments:

  1. Ohh... I love this, well won ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought of you when I was buying it. Remembered you wanted one too :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mike ;) I enjoy getting to sew on my future one when I visit family & my Necchi is humming along nicely. And thanks for the tip on the Singer buttonholer, it works like a charm ;)

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy the machine, i was interested in a bernina 830 record, but have not been able to find one at a price point i like (no way i am paying 650-1000 dollars for one) I might break down and buy a new bernina 1008, their mechanical machine

    I have a singer 201 and I like it. I have 2, singer 15-91s with potted motors and a 15-90 with a 1.5 amp motor that i upgraded. I use these machines for "heavy duty sewing" leather, canvas, home dec, making shopping bags etc. I never have to worry about them not going thru the material or breaking like a newer sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could buy a 730 as I did. They're essentially the same but hundreds of dollars cheaper, probably due to the weight.

      Delete
  3. The first sewing machine I ever used was a Bernina 730 Record, it belonged to my mother. As I recall, the machine had a solid sounding "hum" while it ran. And I don't know why I remember, but I liked the accessible door that dropped open for the bobbin case. The drop-open bobbin door was facing the operator. We often left the little door in the open position and the visibility was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! I'd love that machine. first one I ever used, it belonged to my next door neighbor and she would never part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same machine ! Love it.

    ReplyDelete